Sunday, August 24, 2008

Not so Domestically blessed

I'm sorry I haven't updated for a long time and I will spare you excuses.

I tried my hand at homemade bread for the first time in my life! I'm not sure I will ever do this again, so I figured I would document it for posterity. It took four hours to make the bread! I must admit though, it took an extra long time because I managed to accidentally turn the oven off about 20 minutes into the baking process. It was really ugly, Paul actually laughed when he saw it, but it was really yummy! I'm not entirely sure what homemade bread not baked in a bread maker is supposed to look like. I followed the picture directions in Better Homes and gardens. Asher thought it was the funniest thing ever that I sprinkled flour on the counter before I kneaded the dough. He said "I want to make a mess with you!" and I let him. He has become my assistant chef, every time I cook lately he's right there, ready to stir; and more than willing to try to take over as head chef.
I'm so proud of my sad little loaves.



This is where you will find Asher and Maddie every morning as Paul leaves for work and every garbage truck day (commonly referred to as Wednesday). Asher consistently pulls up the blue chair for himself and finds the green chair for Madeleine. He wants Madeleine to do everything with him, which she loves and it warms my heart. Check out the Thomas underpants, I'm sure he'll love that picture when he's a teenager. This is the smile Madeleine makes when she is looking for a compliment. She loves to hear she is beautiful.



Madeleine has been really into shoes lately. It's even more fun when she wears our shoes around the house, casually discarding one in the bath tub and one in the toy oven. And I thought I misplaced my shoes before! This is Maddie trying Paul's shoes on.

Once again, the "beautiful" smile.

5 comments:

Shayla said...

Nate always tells me, "who cares if they don't look perfect, it tastes good!" So I guess that's all that matters, huh? :-) Bread is one of those things that is totally intimidating if you've never done it before, good for you for giving it a shot. I LOVE baking bread and have done it a lot, but it's definitely one of those things that takes a lot of practice and trial and error. I just love that little smile of Madeleine's, you can't help but praise a smile like that. :-) Good to see an update from you.

Alicia Leppert said...

I have never attempted to make bread. My mom says I can't be her daughter :) Your kids are so stinkin' cute!

Nicole said...

Nessa- don't give up- bread does take practice. I wish I had documented my first batch of bread. But now the loaves are much prettier. I am an author on a friend's cooking blog, and posted my whole wheat bread recipe, complete with pictures. There is a link to it on my page: "I love to cook"

How is potty training going? Timmy is officially trained. (With diapers at night time.)I am not pushing that issue.

Maddie is cute with shoes. The boys love to dress up in my shoes and I always find them in strange places, too. At this moment, I am missing one of my favorite shoes. Not one pair, just one.

Heather said...

Hey, we have that same blanket- but we don't have it hanging in a window.

Brynnlee wears my shoes everywhere... I'm just glad Kaden finally stopped doing it.

klutzy k said...

i can't even express how proud i am of your loaves. happy tears for you! ha ha i'm really impressed though! my rolls are never pretty and i try so hard. they taste great, but i can't give them to people, ya know? oh well. you should come make some bread for me. :D