Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sporting some new gray hairs

Baby #3 is already grounded for a month.

I had an appointment with my Dr. today and at the end they tried to listen to the heartbeat with a doppler. The Dr. was able to hear the heartbeat last week so it was supposed to be even easier to hear since the baby has grown so much over the last week and a half.

Well, the nurse practitioner tried for five minutes with the doppler and couldn't find a heartbeat. Then she went and got the "Super" doppler and still couldn't find it. She said that she would go and find their portable ultrasound machine and be right back.

She left and I started crying. I am nearly 12 weeks pregnant they are supposed to be able to hear the baby now easily and heard it clearly last week. I was certain something wasn't right. 5 minutes later, the nurse practitioner was back with the ultrasound machine and the Doctor.

As soon as he put the machine on my abdomen the baby and heartbeat were visible. I couldn't believe it. Twice now I've been convinced that the baby wasn't okay and my little trooper has proven me wrong. The Dr. even said that at this point, there is only a 1/200 chance that anything could go wrong. I wish it was 1 in a million, but I will gladly accept my 99.5%. That is much better than the 50% that the Emergency Room Doctor told me. The baby has grown so much! Its arms and legs were much longer and its head was more proportional and my last ultrasound wasn't even that long ago. Sadly, no picture as their printer malfunctioned, but I am so happy I don't really care.

Also, no more bed rest and I get to be just as active as I normally am. Which at this point in my pregnancy is slightly more active than a nauseated sloth.

Asher who is convinced that Monsters are real and like to hang out in his room, has up to this point looked at me like I am ridiculous when I talk about the baby in my tummy. Today on the ride home from his friend's house, I told him that I got to see a picture of the baby in my tummy and that it was sleeping, but the Dr. had to wake it up.

He said "Momma, the baby was sleeping in your tummy? That's so funny!" Baby Susie sleeps too!" (Baby Susie is my friend Janna's baby)

Then Maddie started singing "Baby sleeping in the tummy" for the whole ride back.

All in all, it has been a good day. Thank you for all of your prayers and good wishes. I am so happy to be having this baby, even if he or she is a bit of a troublemaker.

8 comments:

Shayla said...

Wow, I would've been in tears, too. So glad to hear all is well and the bed rest has been lifted. Sorry to hear you feel like a nauseated sloth, I get that. I really do.

Katie said...

Ya, you've got a trouble maker there. Definitely grounded. I'm sorry about that. Sounds like it was something of an emotional roller coaster. I'm so glad to hear you are off bed rest though! Hurray! Hopefully you will start feeling better soon.

Kevin and Eliza said...

That would be scary. I'm glad all is good and that the baby just likes to hide or something. I love the nauseated sloth analogy. Isn't it the truth for the first while. I sure hope it gets better for you soon though.

Sara said...

I am so glad that everything is ok. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Brenda said...

I am SO glad it turned out ok. Can't wait to see the little trouble maker.

Amy said...

Grounded! You are so funny! I'm glad everything is okay. What is it with 3rd babies???

Chelsea said...

Congratulations you guys on expecting baby #3!

Vanessa, you're so nice, after the scares you've had I would have grounded the little one for life. I'm glad both you and the baby are okay.

P.S. I promise I'm not some crazy stranger commenting on your blog...Paul, back me up here.

Alicia Leppert said...

Wow, I am SO glad everything is okay. I can't believe you had another awful scare. This baby better come out and be the perfect angel to make up for all the stress it's already given you!